The holidays are right around the corner. In the weeks leading up to the holidays, a lot of grocery stores will have holiday grocery items on sale at the lowest price of the year. It’s always a good idea to take advantage of the deals and stock up on ingredients that can be used all year and not just during the holiday season.
Check out the following list of items for smart buying with the holiday deals:
1. Canned pumpkin puree: between pumpkin chili, pumpkin french toast, and muffins it has multiple uses year round.
2. Onions: Buy them in bulk and dice and store them in one cup portions. They’re so convenient to keep on hand for making soups, stews, stuffing, and slow-cooker meals.
3. Roasted nuts: The unsalted ones are more versatile, especially when making pies, topping salads, and for making candied cocktail nuts. Store them in an airtight container in the freezer and they’ll last for a long time.
4. Fresh whole cranberries: You can freeze the entire bag of cranberries and make cranberry sauce, cranberry french toast bake, and cranberry macarons all winter long.
5. Chicken and vegetable stocks: They are usually on sale around the holidays. They’re a great pantry staple all year long is an essential for soups and stews.
6. Ground turkey: this is such a versatile ingredient and can be used to make a big batch of turkey chili or meatballs at any time.
7. Baking basics: Flour, sugar, powdered sugar, and brown sugar. Buy them when they go on sale and stash them in the freezer for use all year long.
At the last minute. Even hearty veggies such as cauliflower and squash that typically hold up well are seasonal. So go ahead and indulge in these essentials.