Thanksgiving is just around the corner. This is the perfect opportunity to show your loved ones how much you care by preparing a delicious, healthy Thanksgiving dinner.
Smart choices at the grocery store are a key part of your healthy eating plans. Here are a few tips to make your grocery shopping healthier this year.
1. ALWAYS EAT something before you go shopping to avoid having your tummy tell you what to buy.
2. Have a well prepared LIST to minimize impulse buying. Make sure to include turkey breast, green beans, some fresh vegetables like broccoli, some onions, and celery, canned low sodium green beans, corn, and carrots.
3. SHOP THE PERIMETER of the grocery store, where fresh foods like fruits, vegetables, dairy, meat, and fish are usually located. Avoid the center aisles where junk foods lurk.
4. CHOSE “REAL” FOODS, such as 100% fruit juice or 100% whole-grain items with as little processing and as few additives as possible.
5. BUY ORGANIC to minimize pesticide exposure.
6. AVOID FOODS that contain more than five ingredients, artificial ingredients, or ingredients you can’t pronounce.